Thank you for your interest in ALA’s Home Share Program. The purpose of the program is to match Housing Providers with compatible Housing Seekers. There are two types of Home Share options:
- Room Rentals – the Housing Seeker pays a monthly rent to the Housing Provider. The average rent is $600/month. Room rentals are the most common home share arrangements.
- Barters – the Housing Seeker assists the Housing Provider with household chores, and in exchange, pays a reduced rent. Typical requests include housekeeping, grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, transportation and companionship.
Eligibility Criteria for Housing Seekers
To qualify as a housing seeker, you must meet the following minimum requirements (no exceptions):
- Monthly income of at least $1,200
- No evictions
- No convictions
- No pets
- You must be completely independent and able to care for yourself
- You must have a valid telephone number
- You must be a current resident of Los Angeles County
IF you meet all of the requirements listed above, please proceed.
In order to begin the application process, please follow the instructions listed below:
Affordable Living for the Aging
Attn: Office - Home Share
937 N. Fairfax Ave.
West Hollywood, CA 90046
Once received, ALA will process your pre-application and background check. If you pass the background check, staff will contact you by phone or email to schedule your interview. If you do not pass the background check, you will be notified by mail that your application is denied.
During your interview, we will collect information on your living preferences. You will also be asked to bring proof of income and reference information.
Referral and Match Process
When all of the required information is received and processed, ALA will begin referring you to compatible Housing Providers. You select the person with whom you want to live.
Once you’ve selected a Housing Provider, you’ll live together for a short period of time on a trial basis. You will not pay rent during this time. It’s your opportunity, and the Housing Provider’s, to test the arrangement before committing. Trial periods can last from one week to several weeks.
After a successful trial period is completed, you will sign a month-to-month rental agreement with your new roommate.
The entire process will take 3-4 months, at minimum. There is no guarantee that a match will be found. If you have to move within 30 days, please secure temporary housing before applying for the Home Share Program.